I want a little lapel pin that’s officially recognized as meaning:
- Hi there, salesperson!
- I want to give you cash or show you my credit card in exchange for these goods here.
- I do not want to join My Bonus Shopping Reward Points My Way or whatever.
- I realize that it is “absolutely free” except for giving you my personal information, and I still do not want to join it.
- I also do not wish to apply for your store-brand credit card.
- I do not wish or intend to give you my telephone number or driver’s license for any reason at all.
- If had had wanted fries, or a mini-flashlight, or your Special Of The Day, I would have brought it to the counter here.
- And I didn’t.
- In fact I do not wish to be monetized or upsold at in any way.
- I just want to buy this stuff here and leave.
At least after I’d refused to give the Sears checkout lady my phone number when she discovered I did not belong to My Bonus Consumer Shopping Reward Points My Way, she had the good sense not to ask me for it again when I said I did not have a Sears Card either.